Saturday, January 1, 2011

What a difference a year makes

On New Year's Eve 2009, I was headed to Columbus to celebrate with my college roommates and their significant others when my mom called: "Your sister's at the hospital! She's on her way!" My niece decided to make her entrance into the world a few weeks early, and on the way to Columbus I got to stop at the hospital and meet her for the first time.

Twelve months later, she has grown so much - and so have I. Our lives have changed a lot this year when I stop to think about it. Let me count the ways:

1. New jobs. I left my super stressful job after a year and a half for a much slower paced one (that came with a huge pay cut). It was a "big kid" decision for me, one where I ulitmately chose my happiness and health over the almighty dollar. My husband also started working full time for his uncle after a string of temp jobs following being laid off for a year.

2. I turned 29. Not a monumental occasion, but next year's gonna be a doozy.

3. One year of marriage under our belts. We celebrated our 1st anniversary in Nashville in June - the first vacation we've ever taken by ourselves! It was a weird time to go because it was just after the big flood they had but it was still nice to spend time together.

4. The trials and tribulations of homeownership. We endured a roller coaster ride as we tried to sell, then ultimately rent, our condo to find a bigger house that felt like home. We lived with my inlaws for several weeks in between, and are now loving our new place while still figuring out how to be landlords!
 
5. And of course, TTC/BFP land. We talked about it for months, finally started trying, and endured five months of frustration. Then we ended the year on the best note possible!

So here it is - 2011. My 30th year of life. And this time next year, we'll have a little one of our own to join his/her cousin (and another cousin on my husband's side). From a little 5 lb baby to a 1-year-old big girl, my niece is proof that life can change dramatically in 12 short months. As for the coming year, I'm excited, I'm terrified, and I can't wait to see what it brings. Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Cute niece! You had a busy 2010, but 2011 is going to be so exciting for you guys! Can't wait to follow along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2011 looks to be a great year for you!

    ReplyDelete