Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Let me go home...

Michael Bublé has inspired my post yet again today. "Another summer day has come and gone away... but I want to go home/Let me go home..."

I have been living with my in-laws for going on two weeks now, and it will likely be another two or three until we close on our house. The current occupants of the house are me and my husband, his brother and sister-in-law (who is pregnant) while they finish work on their new house, his mom and stepdad, and four large dogs. Honestly, it hasn't been so bad because we are rarely all there/awake at the same time, but it just isn't home. Some of the things I can't wait for when we move out:

1. Doing my own laundry. I am very picky about laundry and I don't dry most of my shirts. When we're home even my husband doesn't touch my laundry because he's afraid of doing something wrong. After doing a load of laundry the other day, I accidentally left the hamper downstairs by the washer, and my husband's stepdad took it upon himself to help out. He shrunk a shirt I bought two weeks ago and I had to go buy a replacement. And I am also missing a brown cardigan from Gap that I'm sure his stepdad has picked up in one of his borderline OCD cleaning frenzies.

2. Having my cat back. She is currently living with my parents because the four large dogs (two that live at the house, two belonging to my BIL and SIL) would probably eat her. When we were moving out of our condo she spent a day cowering in the bathtub, so I didn't want to subject her to more trauma. I miss my furbaby.

3. Not being afraid I look like a clown when I leave the house. The lighting in our bathroom is less than desireable, and I put my makeup on every morning fearing I have missed some streaks of foundation or mascara or have drawn my eyeliner an inch under my eye. And speaking of bathrooms...

4. Being able to brush my teeth in the morning without worrying about catching my brother-in-law in his underwear (or worse). The bathroom is all mine in the morning until about 5 minutes before I leave for work, which is when I brush my teeth. It's also the exact time my BIL gets in the shower. Eek!

5. Having access to my entire wardrobe. Every closet in the in-laws' house is crammed with my MIL's clothes. So our stuff - what we thought we would need for a few weeks - is on a long hanging clothes rack in our bedroom. (Ok, let's be honest - by "our stuff" I mean "my stuff". It's kinda hard to downsize from a walk-in closet to a rack. The hubby's clothes are in a pile on a trunk.)

6. Getting to control the remote. I guess I don't really get to control the remote when it's just the two of us either, but at least I can DVR what I want without worrying about conflicting with everyone else's shows recording and worrying that someone will cancel or delete such important staples as Gossip Girl and Glee.

I am eternally grateful to them for letting us stay with them. Because we have renters in our condo, we are pretty much mortgage and bill-free until we move. But I need my life back!

“You'll see when you move out - it just sort of happens one day, one day and it's just gone. And you can never get it back. It's like you get homesick for a place that doesn't exist. I mean it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I miss the idea of it. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place.” - Garden State

1 comment:

  1. Not having access to my entire wardrobe would definitely be the worst for me! Every morning I would only want to wear things that I didn't have with me. Hate how that happens!

    Hope you can make it 2-3 more weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete