Monday, September 13, 2010

Being a pseudo mommy is hard work!

My niece is the best baby in the world. She is going on 9 months old, and is the happiest child I have ever encountered! She wakes up from naps smiling, and I can count the times I've heard her cry on one hand (well, except when she was first born and colicky).

My mom and I took her to a festival while my sister worked on Saturday, and I have to say that I was suddenly aware of how much work it is to take a baby out in public! First we gathered all of her gear (Does she need to eat before we get back? Has she had her medicine? Where's her jacket?). When we got there we had to figure out how to unfold the stroller. Turns out this is way harder than you might imagine, and we had to call my sister for instructions. (My mom says she wishes she would have been videoing my attempts because it was YouTube worthy.) At that point I also became very aware I am going to need a bigger car when I have my own baby, because there is no way I will be able to fit a stroller in my 2-door hatchback, let alone a carseat. At the festival we had to navigate and off-road through the craft tents that were in the grass, and ultimately I didn't get to enjoy all my usual festival treats because she got a little fussy and fell asleep. So just to confirm, life is more difficult with a baby. But how freaking adorable is she??

On another positive note, my hubby and I got down to some serious baby-making this weekend, and it looks like today could be my ovulation day. I used an ovulation test and while it wasn't positive, it was the first actual noticeable line I've ever gotten! If only I'd taken one yesterday I may have actually seen a +.

Today's lyrics, courtesy of Jimmy Eat World:
"It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride
Everything, everything will be just fine
Everything, everything will be alright..."

(It's not often that I'm a glass half full kinda girl, so take it while you can get it!)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun with the hubs and got in some parenting lessons! Thats a good weekend if you ask me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that song! And glad you got some mommy practice in!

    ReplyDelete